Last week’s Writing Plan took a hit when I happened to stumble across the info that Carina Press was accepting online pitches this last Monday through Friday. The Plan went on hold! I immediately sent off a pitch for Wishes in a Bottle. Then, on thinking things over, I pulled out SwanSong, which I had finished some years back (along with the subsequent book in that series), and took a good look at it. The reason it had been shelved is because I needed to change the geographical location of the entire series. On the other hand… it was otherwise finished. Hmm. I decided I’d been putting that off long enough, so I pitched that too, and got to work. First I did a full read-through, then I dove into editing to make the needed changes, beginning to end (with lots of time-outs to stop and read over a scene, LOL). It took a few days, but I got it done! It’s now ready to go if an editor bites.
- Two Finished Manuscripts, ready to send:
- Wishes in a Bottle, 1st book of Wishes & Dreams 3-book series
- SwanSong; 1st book of Sons of the Desert 4-book series
- Two Finished Manuscripts, revisions in progress:
- A Gift of Jacinth, 2nd book of Wishes & Dreams
- Castles in the Sand, 2nd book of Sons of the Desert (Completed!)
- Currently outstanding:
- 5 submission queries to literary agents
- 2 pitches to Carina Press.
THE WRITING PLAN:
So basically, we’re back to last week’s Writing Plan, with some additions. Again, I’m not putting a time limit on it for now. The revisions work on the two finished manuscripts, Jacinth and Castles, is going to be fairly extensive, and revisions are actually more exhausting than the writing itself! Go figure. So, here, in no particular order, we have:
- My primary beta reader identified a loose thread in Wishes in a Bottle, so I do need to get that tended to asap, just in case any (brilliant, perceptive, incredibly awesome) agent (or editor) is interested by my query and requests the full. (Completed!)
- Begin work on the revisions of A Gift of Jacinth, tying it in more closely to the first and last books.
- Begin making the geographic, political and any other changes needed in Castles in the Sand. (Completed!)
- Write and/or update the blurb and the synopses in 2-page and 6-10 page lengths for all finished manuscripts (in order of priority):
- SwanSong (Completed!)
- A Gift of Jacinth (blurb and 2-pg done)
- Castles in the Sand (Completed!)
- Write synopsis and blurb for When Darkness Falls, in preparation for possibly submitting a proposal to Carina Press.
- A Cat for Troy is the third book in Wishes & Dreams, and at 47,000 words it’s High Priority.
- When Darkness Falls is at 165,000 words (660 pages). I want to get this done! It’s close… very close! High Priority.
- I’ve identified Michael’s Quest, the third book in the Sons of the Desert series, as my potential NaNoWriMo project this year. With that in mind, I’ll be starting to do some characterization work during off-times when my mind doesn’t want to cooperate or I just need a break from whatever it is I’m working on.