I have a New Year’s tradition of my very own. Starting NY Eve and going through NY Day, I back up EVERYTHING on my computer to an internal drive and to my external Passport drive. Not the programs, just data… documents, music, videos, pictures, mesh (for SecondLife) and any special fonts I’ve downloaded. This of course doesn’t take nearly as long as it used to in the old days, which involved a couple dozen CD’s and an entire weekend. While I do this, I re-read Dale Carnegie’s “How to Win Friends and Influence People.” I got it on audiobook on year, but discovered that I tended to tune it out, rather than let it sink in, so I’ve gone back to reading.
Other than that, I’m back to writing again on a regular (i.e., constant/continual) basis.
- Three Finished Manuscripts, ready to send:
- Wishes in a Bottle, 1st book of Wishes & Dreams 3-book series
- SwanSong; 1st book of Sons of the Desert 4-book series
- Castles in the Sand; 2nd book of Sons of the Desert
- Three Finished Manuscripts, revisions in progress:
- A Gift of Jacinth; 2nd book of Wishes & Dreams
- A Cat For Troy; 3rd book of Wishes & Dreams
- When Darkness Falls
- In-Progress Manuscripts:
- Michael’s Quest, 3rd book of Sons of the Desert (just starting)
- Currently outstanding:
- 4 queries to literary agents (we won’t talk about how man rejections have come in)
- 1 query to a publisher
- 1 full manuscript by request to a publisher
- 4 manuscripts in The Emily contest (finalists announced mid-January 2018)
Synopsis, Blurb & Pitch: All finished manuscripts have these, except as noted below:
- Blurb/1-paragraph summation for query letter (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 2-page synopsis (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY, WHEN DARKNESS FALLS)
- 5-10 page synopsis (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 1-sentence pitch for agent submissions who require this
- 280-character pitch for Twitter pitch events
THE WRITING PLAN: (not in any particular order except as indicated)
- January Newsletter (HIGHEST Priority)
- Back up all data to E drive and to Passport (Dec 31-Jan 1st)
- Downloaded Fonts
- Mesh Uploads
- Back up Scrivener folders to OneDrive & GoogleDrive in addition to above
- Start researching for my next round of queries to literary agents.
- A GIFT OF JACINTH: I’m making Jacinth my highest priority (after the newsletter). It’s essentially finished, as in, written beginning to end, but I absolutely want to:
- Work in more of Julian & Alessandra from WISHES, into the story;
- Incorporate some more of the events that occur in CAT, since that was written after I’d written this novel, not to mention I hadn’t known I was going to write a third book in the series when I was writing JACINTH (it’s all Cat’s fault)!
- A CAT FOR TROY:
- Read through for plot holes
- Since this is only at 68k, it needs at least 22k more, so look for places where I can build, particularly:
- Katerina’s career and employees and associates, and also some of her family relationships
- Adding more of Julian & Alessandra from the first book in the series.
- I need more interaction between Katerina and Troy (as opposed to Cat and Troy).
- WHEN DARKNESS FALLS:
- Characterization expansion on some of the major secondary characters, particularly Damien’s Commander, Aleksei (due to the screams of “more!” from my beta readers, and his (Damien’s) demon half-sister Kayja (ditto screams) as well as Maxim, the High Magi. Plus just a little more on some of the Viziers of Sultana’s Court, to kind of punctuate their roles. Also Gabrielle and Antonio.
- Go through beta reader feedback for the more extensive issues/fixes that I’d set aside until November was over.
- MICHAEL’S QUEST: Brainstorm!!! Character profiles & interviews on Michael & Claire.
- Work on my new FlickR album that I put together just for fun 🙂