Not much change except I’ve gotten over the block on that one major transition scene in A Cat For Troy that was holding me back. I’m going full tilt at finishing that scene and its aftermath, and finishing the manuscript so I can get it into beta reading. Once it’s in beta reading (which takes awhile), I can set it aside and focus on Michael’s Quest, from Sons of the Desert. I’m going to begin querying agents for the Sons of the Desert series some time this week.
I registered for the Romance Writers of America annual national conference in Denver this summer, and my plan is to go with 6 manuscripts that are finished, edited, polished, and ready to pitch, so that’s going to be my push for the ensuing months. These are the ones with the asterisks (*) in the list below.
As a reminder, if you’re interested in being a beta reader, I’ve got my process outlined on my Beta Reading Team webpage, along with synopses of the manuscripts currently in beta reading, to choose from 🙂
- Finished Manuscripts, professional copy editing done:
- Wishes in a Bottle, 1st book of Wishes & Dreams 3-book series*
- SwanSong; 1st book of Sons of the Desert 4-book series*
- Finished Manuscripts, waiting on copy editing:
- Castles in the Sand; 2nd book of Sons of the Desert*
- In Beta Reading:
- A Gift of Jacinth, 2nd book of Wishes & Dreams 3-book series*
- Finished Manuscripts, revisions in progress prior to 2nd round of beta reading:
- When Darkness Falls*
- In-Progress Manuscripts:
- A Cat For Troy, 3rd book of Wishes & Dreams
- Michael’s Quest, 3rd book of Sons of the Desert
- Currently outstanding:
Synopsis, Blurb & Pitch: All finished manuscripts have these, except as noted below:
- Blurb/1-paragraph summation for query letter (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 2-page synopsis (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY, WHEN DARKNESS FALLS)
- 5-10 page synopsis (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 1-sentence pitch for agent submissions who require this
- 280-character pitch for Twitter pitch events
THE WRITING PLAN: (not in any particular order except as indicated)
- A GIFT OF JACINTH
- Do revisions as needed, as feedback comes in from beta readers
- CASTLES IN THE SAND
- Get to copy editor for proof reading.
- CAT FOR TROY: (Priority)
- Current word count: 75k, target 90k
- Areas that need work:
- Katerina’s career and employees and associates, and also some of her family relationships
- Adding more of Julian & Alessandra from the first book in the series.
- Some character work on Troy to see how he’s going to react *after* the crisis is over and they’re back home.
- WHEN DARKNESS FALLS:
- Characterization expansion on some of the major secondary characters, particularly Damien’s Commander, Aleksei (due to the screams of “more!” from my beta readers, and his (Damien’s) demon half-sister Kayja (ditto screams) as well as Maxim, the High Magi. Plus just a little more on some of the Viziers of Sultana’s Court, to kind of punctuate their roles. Also Gabrielle and Antonio.
- Go through beta reader feedback for the more extensive issues/fixes that I’d set aside until November was over.
- Send queries to literary agents for SwanSong. (Priority)
- Work on my new FlickR album that I put together just for fun 🙂
- Start working on the April newsletter. (Priority)