UPDATE: April 7th. Not much change from last Saturday, except….!!! I finally got the troublesome scene written in A Cat For Troy that’s been holding me up these last several weeks. So I have a very good chance of wrapping up that manuscript this week and getting it into beta reading!
This week’s excitement was the request for a partial of SwanSong from a well-established literary agent, well-known in the romance genre. She doesn’t represent paranormal romance, and wants me to concentrate on the Sons of the Desert series, and in the contemporary subgenre to get established. I have no real problem with that, as Wishes & Dreams, the paranormal series, is all but done. I do want to finish A Cat For Troy, so I can set the entire series aside for now as being done, and my fantasy romance, When Darkness Falls, was always going to be a long-term project once it turned out to be a trilogy. I can work on that on the side.
So I’ll finish up A Cat For Troy and get that into beta reading along with A Gift of Jacinth, and turn my attention to Michael’s Quest, the third of the Sons of the Desert books. I’ve got the first four chapters written; that’s like, unheard of for me, as I’m a pantser; I almost never write from the beginning! It wasn’t intentional, the Muse caught hold of me and it just happened, LOL. It’s going to be more humorous than the first two, I’ve been having a blast with it so far!! In addition to the four brothers, I also have two other spin-off novels, both of which I started years ago, before I began writing seriously. One I wrote for a creative writing class my senior year in college (in which I got an A btw, and an A on the manuscript too), but it’s pretty bad and makes me wince when I read the few chapters I have written, but the plot is sound, I just need to find a way to re-work it. The other one, Into the Storm, takes place in the fictitious middle eastern countries of Sons of the Desert and is pretty exciting; once I move my headspace from paranormal to contemporary, this story is going to take a lot of beating to keep it in its place in line to be written!
My original plan was to go to the Romance Writers of America annual national conference in Denver with 6 manuscripts that are finished, edited, polished, and ready to pitch; the 2 Sons of the Desert novels, all 3 Wishes & Dreams, and When Darkness Falls. But with serious interest in the contemporary, I’m back burnering When Darkness Falls. I might be able to finish Michael’s Quest by July but……… well, we’ll see. I only have the first chapters, and as a pantser, I still don’t exactly know where the story is going or how it gets there. But I’ll still have 5 done at the very least! Not that it matters, because you don’t EVER submit right there on the spot at the conference; it’s more a matter of me *knowing* I’m walking in with those completed manuscripts… if that makes sense?
So that’s where we are for now. As a reminder, if you’re interested in being a beta reader, I’ve got my process outlined on my Beta Reading Team webpage, along with synopses of the manuscripts currently in beta reading, which right now is only A Gift of Jacinth, but I hope to be adding A Cat For Troy to that any time soon! 🙂
- Finished Manuscripts, professional copy editing done:
- Wishes in a Bottle, 1st book of Wishes & Dreams 3-book series*
- SwanSong; 1st book of Sons of the Desert 4-book series*
- Finished Manuscripts, waiting on copy editing:
- Castles in the Sand; 2nd book of Sons of the Desert*
- In Beta Reading:
- A Gift of Jacinth, 2nd book of Wishes & Dreams 3-book series*
- Finished Manuscripts, revisions in progress prior to 2nd round of beta reading:
- When Darkness Falls*
- In-Progress Manuscripts:
- A Cat For Troy, 3rd book of Wishes & Dreams
- Michael’s Quest, 3rd book of Sons of the Desert
- Currently outstanding:
- 3-chapter partial of SwanSong requested by a Literary Agent
- Literary Agent queries for Wishes in a Bottle
- Literary Agent queries for SwanSong
Synopsis, Blurb & Pitch: All finished manuscripts have these, except as noted below:
- Blurb/1-paragraph summation for query letter (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 2-page synopsis (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY, WHEN DARKNESS FALLS)
- 5-10 page synopsis (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 1-sentence pitch for agent submissions who require this
- 280-character pitch for Twitter pitch events
THE WRITING PLAN: (not in any particular order except as indicated)
- A GIFT OF JACINTH
- Do revisions as needed, as feedback comes in from beta readers
- CASTLES IN THE SAND
- Get to my copy editor for proof reading.
- CAT FOR TROY: (Priority)
- Current word count: 75k, target 90k
- Areas that need work:
- Katerina’s career and employees and associates, and also some of her family relationships
- Adding more of Julian & Alessandra from the first book in the series.
- Some character work on Troy to see how he’s going to react *after* the crisis is over and they’re back home.
- WHEN DARKNESS FALLS:
- Characterization expansion on some of the major secondary characters, particularly Damien’s Commander, Aleksei (due to the screams of “more!” from my beta readers, and his (Damien’s) demon half-sister Kayja (ditto screams) as well as Maxim, the High Magi. Plus just a little more on some of the Viziers of Sultana’s Court, to kind of punctuate their roles. Also Gabrielle and Antonio.
- Go through beta reader feedback for the more extensive issues/fixes that I’d set aside until November was over.
- Work on my new FlickR album that I put together just for fun 🙂
- Go to My RWA and print out the schedule of events for the conference, and get a binder started to take with me.
- Check on the date they’ll announce the participants and rooms for the Speed Pitch event, then calendar that
- Start working up a list of questions for the Industry Marketplace event
- Print out workshop schedules, and identify those I want to be sure to attend.
- Order Allie McCormack business cards to take to the Conference
- Start working on the May newsletter.