NaNo is almost upon us!
These last few days of November, I’ll be bringing my life down into “slow” mode… my schedule cleared, house in good shape, desk cleared, Scriviner project set up. I have my monthly housekeeping service scheduled for the 30th and on the 31st I’ll be going to Honeybaked to buy a half ham and some of their hickory smoke honey mustard. Oh! And I have to get bread for sandwiches **makes a mental note**
My SecondLife roleplay mom and RealLife writing buddy and friend, Jenn Bradshaw, are having an online SecondLife kick-off write-in event starting at midnight EST and then marching across the time zones with a write-off at midnight each time until we get to California.
I’ve worked through the interpretation of the various character voices in Truck Stop with my narrator, and he’s sent me the first chapter all done, which seriously just blew me away! This is so perfect!! So now he’ll be going forward with narrating the rest of the book. I’m having a professional marketing company re-do the formatting for the Kindle version and will be releasing that with the new cover… I did an okay job with the formatting myself, but I want it professional looking so I’m paying to have it done (like I should have in the beginning). This company also does promo items, and they made me this awesome banner to go with the new cover. Once the audiobook is out, I’m going to have them do an animated one, and also I’m having a trailer made as soon as I know the release date of the audiobook, which won’t be for awhile yet. I’ll be approving each chapter as we go, and once Jay uploads it to ACX, it’s about 2 weeks before they get it released.
Submissions Plan: Not much change from the last Writing Plan blog; I haven’t even gotten more rejections in! I won’t of course be submitting anything through November, because of NaNo, but in December, I’m going to begin to submit to those publishers (traditional and small) that take unagented submissions and are listed with RWA.
As a reminder, if you’re interested in being a beta reader, I’ve got my process outlined on my Beta Reading Team webpage, along with synopses of the manuscripts currently available for beta reading.
- Finished Manuscripts, professional copy editing done:
- WISHES IN A BOTTLE, 1st book of Wishes & Dreams 3-book series*
- SWANSONG; 1st book of Sons of the Desert 4-book series*
- Finished Manuscripts, need copy editing:
- A GIFT OF JACINTH, 2nd book of Wishes & Dreams
- A CAT FOR TROY, 3rd book of Wishes & Dreams
- CASTLES IN THE SAND; 2nd book of Sons of the Desert*
- Finished Manuscripts, major revisions in progress prior to 2nd round of beta reading:
- WHEN DARKNESS FALLS (201,775 words, as follows:)
- Book 1: The Palace (61,150)
- Book 2: The Dark Lord (90,500)
- Book 3: The Prophecy (39,400)
- WHEN DARKNESS FALLS (201,775 words, as follows:)
- In-Progress Manuscripts:
- MICHAEL’S QUEST, 3rd book of Sons of the Desert
- Requests from the RWA Speed Pitch Event:
- 1 Publisher request for the full manuscript (!!!) of Wishes in a Bottle (rejection)
- 1 Publisher request for partial of SwanSong
- 1 Publisher request for partial of Wishes in a Bottle (rejection rec’d… but said nice things!)
- 1 Agent request for summaries of both series as well as When Darkness Falls (rejection rec’d for 1)
- 1 Agent request for partials of both (!!!) SwanSong and When Darkness Falls
- 1 Agent request for the full manuscript (!!!) of SwanSong (rejection rec’d… this was expected)
- 4 Agent requests for partial of When Darkness Falls (rejections back: 3)
- 3 Agent requests for partial of SwanSong (rejections back: 1)
- Outstanding Queries:
- 1 Agent query, Wishes in a Bottle
Synopsis, Blurb & Pitch: All finished manuscripts have these, except as noted below:
- Blurb/1-paragraph summation for query letter (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 2-page synopsis (Needed: WHEN DARKNESS FALLS)
- 5-10 page synopsis (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 1-sentence pitch for agent submissions who require this
- 280-character pitch for Twitter pitch events
THE WRITING PLAN: (not in any particular order except as indicated)
- Collect information that will be needed by the narrator once the contract is agreed upon.
- Work on November newsletter
- A CAT FOR TROY
- Fix the quick fixes/errors/tweaks from beta reader feedback (Done!)
- Go over the (mostly minor) issues I’ve identified on the Synopsis cards (Done!)
- Go over the beta reader feedback requiring more in-depth work, issues, etc.
- WHEN DARKNESS FALLS (current word count: 201,750/250,000) (don’t panic, it’s a trilogy):
- Read-through The Palace and get it into beta reading
- Characterization expansion on some of the major secondary characters, particularly:
- Damien’s Commander, Aleksei (due to the screams of “more!” from my beta readers
- Damien’s demon half-sister Kayja (ditto screams)
- Maxim, the High Magi
- Plus just a little more on some of the Viziers of Sultana’s Court, to kind of punctuate their roles.
- Also Gabrielle (Normandy?) and Antonio (Genoa?)
- Tackle The Prophecy
- Go through beta reader feedback for the more extensive issues/fixes
- Revisions on WIPs as they come in from beta readers
- Work on my writing Pinterest boards … which, by the way, I am having TOO much fun with!
- Research Audible/ACX versus Findaway Voices to see about having Truck Stop produced as audiobook