I did it!! I finished NaNoWriMo… on my birthday, no less! I won’t bore you with details, because I already wrote a blog post about it, you can read it here though! But here’s the Cliff’s Notes version: I WON NaNo with 50,257 words… I finished A CAT FOR TROY and I finished WHEN DARKNESS FALLS during the course of November. With the proviso that neither of these are “done” … it means I’ve gotten the stories written from The Beginning to The End. There’s still a lot of work to be done before they are ready to be sent out for queries.
I took off the last 3 days since finishing NaNo from any kind of writing or editing. Complete break. I did a little building in SecondLife, adding a new scene to my Holodeck. I also loaded up all my Christmas music onto SAM Cloud, and finished up my December author’s newsletter (which I need to remember to send today, btw). So today I’m taking a look at where I’m at, and what I should be doing next.
To add a little excitement into the mix, sometime in the next few days we should be hearing the winners of Melody of Love Contest, in which WISHES IN A BOTTLE was a finalist, and also the finalists of the Emilly Contest will be announced, in which I had several manuscripts entered. So… nail-biting nervous excitement over that!
- Three Finished Manuscripts, ready to send:
- Wishes in a Bottle, 1st book of Wishes & Dreams 3-book series
- SwanSong; 1st book of Sons of the Desert 4-book series
- Castles in the Sand; 2nd book of Sons of the Desert
- Three Finished Manuscripts, revisions in progress:
- A Gift of Jacinth; 2nd book of Wishes & Dreams
- A Cat For Troy; 3rd book of Wishes & Dreams
- When Darkness Falls
- In-Progress Manuscripts:
- Michael’s Quest, 3rd book of Sons of the Desert
- Currently outstanding:
- 4 queries to literary agents (we won’t talk about how man rejections have come in)
- Proposal to Carina Press (When Darkness Falls)
- 2 queries to a publisher
- 2 full manuscripts by request to a publisher
- 1 finalist in Melody of Love contest
- 4 manuscripts in The Emily contest
Synopsis, Blurb & Pitch: All finished manuscripts have these, except as noted below:
- Blurb/1-paragraph summation for query letter (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 2-page synopsis (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY, WHEN DARKNESS FALLS)
- 5-10 page synopsis (Needed: A CAT FOR TROY)
- 1-sentence pitch for agent submissions who require this
- 280-character pitch for Twitter pitch events (New! Needed for ALL completed manuscripts)
THE WRITING PLAN: (not in any particular order)
- WHEN DARKNESS FALLS:
- Characterization expansion on some of the major secondary characters, particularly Damien’s Commander, Aleksei (due to the screams of “more!” from my beta readers, and his (Damien’s) demon half-sister Kayja (ditto screams) as well as Maxim, the High Magi. Plus just a little more on some of the Viziers of Sultana’s Court, to kind of punctuate their roles.
- Go through beta reader feedback for the more extensive issues/fixes that I’d set aside until November was over.
- A CAT FOR TROY:
- Read through for plot holes
- Run spell & grammar check in Word, and prepare to get this into the beta reader process.
- Since this is only at 68k, it needs at least 22k more, so look for places where I can build, particularly on Katerina’s career and employees and associates, and also some of her family relationships, plus adding more of Julian & Alessandra from the first book in the series. I need more interaction between Katerina (as opposed to Cat) and Troy.
- A GIFT OF JACINTH:
- Work in more of Julian & Alessandra into the story; should make a bond between Douglas & Julian as Douglas needs someone to talk to!
- Run spell & grammar check in Word, and prepare to get this into the beta reader process
- MICHAEL’S QUEST: Brainstorm!!!
- Revise Twitter pitches to 280 characters for each ready-to-go manuscript (as above)
- Participate in #PitMad on Dec 7th
- Set up my January author’s newsletter for working on as the month progresses.